fruity chocolate cake
2 tbsp + 1/3 cup butter
3 tbsp sugar
130 g unsweetened or semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 pc eggs, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp iodized fine salt
1 can (439 g)Fruit Cocktail, well-drained (reserve syrup)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in remaining fruit cocktail syrup
1 tbsp honey
1. GREASE medium size muffin pan with 2 tbsp of butter then dust with 2 tbsp sugar. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Melt half of chocolate chips in double boiler. Set aside.
2. CREAM remaining butter and half of sugar for 3 minutes. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Fold in melted chocolate, vanilla and 2 tbsp fruit cocktail syrup. Set aside.
3. BEAT egg whites until soft peaks form then gradually add remaining sugar while beating until stiff. Fold into the creamed mixture alternately with breadcrumbs. Fold in remaining chocolate chips, nuts and salt. Fill the muffin pan with batter 3/4 full.
4. COMBINE Fruit Cocktail and flour. Top each unbaked muffin with fruit mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
5. HEAT cornstarch mixture until thick. Add honey. Brush over cake.